- 100 day return period
- Online since 1998
- Trusted Shop 4.87 / 5.00
Upgrade for your Shimano cranks: the oval 96 BCD XTR chainrings by absoluteBLACK
This premium 1X oval 96 BCD traction chainring is designed for Shimano XTR M9000 and M9020 cranks only. They feature exactly the same oval shape as the rest of the oval chainring portfolio by absoluteBLACK. They are not compatible with XT M8000 cranks.
Application: Cross Country, All Mountain, Trail, Enduro
Mount: 96 mm bolt circle diameter, 4-arm asymmetrical
Teeth: 30t, 32t, 34t
Gearing: 1x9-speed, 1x10-speed, 1x11-speed, 1x12-speed
Type: oval, 10.2 - 14.4 %
Chainline: 49 mm
Material: aluminium (7075)
- fits only Shimano XTR M9000 and M9020 cranksets
- designed using 3D CAD software, CNC machined, anodized
- long-lasting construction, mud optimised, decreases noise dramatically
- excellent weight to strength ratio
- greatly improves traction and climbing abilities
- unique patent pending alternate wide and narrow teeth profiles to keep your chain in place
- superb quality and great look
- faster ride, reduced stress on knees
- perfect chainline due to built-in M7 threaded standoffs (improves stock Shimano chainline by 1 mm, use original Shimano M7 bolts)
- ovality and timing (110.5-116.3°) optimised for each size separately (TDC technology, top dead center)
- 10, 11 or Eagle 12spd chain for geared bike or 6-9 spd (or 1/8" ) for single speed (if used in 1x9 drivetrain 10spd chain must be used to obtain the performance)
- no chainguide needed
Why absoluteBLACK oval chainrings work
Oval rings work with the natural human physiology. Oval chainrings maximise the part of the stroke where power is produced and minimise resistance where it isn't. As a direct consequence, oval rings enhance a cyclist's ability to spin with a smoother power delivery and feel easier on legs while climbing.
You will actually feel your pedal stroke to be more " round" with an oval chainring than with a round chainring.
Why using oval chainrings matters
In comparison to round chainrings, when using oval chainrings, human legs utilise more muscle groups - but each of them to lesser degree. The overall load from pedalling an oval chainring is spread over a greater muscle mass, which reduces the peak loads on knee joints.
This has three key benefits: firstly, it gives you the feeling of fresher and more relaxed legs. Secondly, it allows you to achieve higher average speed riding uphill. Thirdly, spreading the pedalling load over more muscles reduces the risk of cramp, even when riding hard. This means your overall enjoyment of the ride is enhanced. On MTB side in addition rear tyre traction improves greatly on loose and slippery terrain when using oval. Climbing becomes much easier in demanding terrain.
Manufacturer Part Numbers:
30 tooth: OV96XTR/30
32 tooth: OV96XTR/32
34 tooth: OV96XTR/34
- 1 x absoluteBLACK 96 BCD XTR oval chainring
- black/30 tooth: 44 g
- black/32 tooth: 53 g
- black/34 tooth: 63 g