- 100 day return period
- Online since 1998
- Trusted Shop 4.87 / 5.00
The right tension is crucial: Gates' UT ECO Tension Tester
For optimal function of the Gates Carbon Drive System, correct belt tension is essential. Too-low tension can lead to " ratcheting" , where the teeth of the belt will slide over the teeth of the rear sprocket. Too-high tension can cause damage to the rear hub bearing, sluggishness and increased wear on your drive system.
The belt tension adjustment varies depending upon the bicycle. Common tension adjustment systems include inclined or vertical dropouts, horizontally sliding dropouts (not recommended by Gates) and eccentric bottom brackets.
The Eco tester measures the tension of each Gates Carbon Drive belt position.
Hang the main tower on the belt. Place the ruler on both sprockets.
Check the tension. Red means increase tension, yellow means decrease tension, green means the tension is optimal.
During tension adjustment, the correct alignment of the belt must be maintained.
As with any method of measurement, the tension can vary at different points on the belt, therefore tension measurements should be repeated. Turn the crank after each measurement by a quarter turn and measure again.
Tension recommendations for Gates Carbon Drive are as follows:
- Off-road and urban - soft and even step style: 40-60 Hz (35-45 lbs)
- Off-road and urban - strong and hard stepping style: 60-75 Hz (45-53 lbs)
- Internally geared hubs: 35-50 Hz (28-40 lbs)
- Tandem: 60-65 Hz (45-48 lbs)
- Shimano STEPS: 35-45 Hz (28-35 lbs)
Function: Measures belt tension
Type: gauge, special tool
Compatibility: Gates Carbon Drive System
- 1 x Gates Universal Transmission Eco Tension Tester
- 1 x Gates Universal Transmissions ECO Tension Tester ruler