They have tradition: the 104 BCD chainrings by Wolf Tooth Components
The 104 BCD chainring was the first product ever made by Wolf Tooth. This is the most common bolt circle diameter on 2x and 3x cranks. The weight-saving Drop-Stop® Wide-Narrow tooth design by Wolf Tooth is impressive for its self-cleaning potential and as an extremely reliable protection against chain dropping.
- Cross Country, All Mountain
- 104 mm bolt circle diameter, 4-arm
- 30 T, 32 T, 34 T, 36 T, 38 T
- 1x9-speed, 1x10-speed, 1x11-speed, 1x12-speed
- aluminium (7075-T6)
- cranks with 104 mm bolt circle diameter
- 30 T is QUARQ compatible
- all 9-, 10- and 11-speed chains
- SRAM Eagle, KMC, Connex and Wippermann 12-speed chains
- 10-speed chain recommended for 9-speed drivetrains
- 30 T (threaded holes) requires 10 mm long chainring bolts
- other sizes require 6 mm long chainring bolts
- in combination with a bashring 8 mm screws are required
- Wolf Tooth Wide-Narrow design
- Made in the USA
- Note from the manufacturer:
- For very muddy conditions a chain guide in combination with clutch rear derailleur is recommended.
Wolf Tooth has invested countless hours in the design, prototyping and testing of their Wide-Narrow chainrings and has developed a highly innovative tooth profile. Test riders around the world have confirmed that this design brings unparalleled performance.
The right side of the chainring tooth has a different shape than the left side. The right side transmits the power to the chain and the left side opens a free space for cleaning mud and dirt. Since the two sides have completely different functions, it makes sense to design them differently, true to the motto: extra reinforcement where you need it, less material where you don't.
The right side of the Drop-Stop tooth is as wide as possible to distribute the load over a larger area, which also minimises wear. The left side of the Drop-Stop tooth helps to guide the chain, but it does not transmit any load. Therefore the left side is narrower than the chain roller. Wear is not an issue on this side, so Wolf Tooth was able to save material and create a better mud clearance channel. More free space means less friction and less change of the chain being dropped due to mud.
In the A version, the original version of Drop-Stop, the profile is optimized for use on mountain bikes. The wide teeth are slightly wider than Drop-Stop B. The outer sides of the narrow and wide teeth guide the chain.
- 30 tooth:
- 32 tooth:
- 34 tooth:
- 36 tooth:
- 38 tooth:
- 1 x Wolf Tooth Components 104 BCD chainring
- black/30 tooth: 36 g
- black/32 tooth: 47 g
- black/36 tooth: 60 g
- black/38 tooth: 66 g
- 100 day return period
- Online since 1998
- Trusted Shop 4.89 / 5.00